Baby India

Saturday, April 09, 2005

My Send Off…popping pills…roller coaster ride…30+ hours travel time…and finally INDIA

Oh man, where do I start?! I left for Hyderabad with a wonderful send off. It started off with many goodbyes at work. It was the first time I felt like I was going for a while. I left work early to pack my bags, do my laundry, my taxes, etc…and all the last minute stuff that I had left to the very last day. An hour before I left for the airport my high school friends came over to say goodbye. It was soooooooooo sweet. They went through a thorough list to ensure that I had not missed a thing and left for home as I left for the airport. My grandmother, uncle and brother all came to the airport to drop me off. My cousin and nephew were at the airport about 10 minutes before I got there to bid me farewell as well. Just as I got to the airport…Emel and her husband landed up there to say bye to me. I feel SO loved.

I was a bit under the weather so I was taking as much as I could so I wouldn’t feel horrible on the plane. I never take medicine unless it’s a last resort! Man o man, the amount of pills I took was more than I’ve taken over the span of a few years. Anyhow, the first segment of the flight was by far the longest. There was a lot of turbulence – one of the airline hosts was saying that it was a ‘roller coaster’ ride. That comment made me laugh because it wasn’t far from the truth.

Long story short – after arriving in HK, Heather, Adam and Lauren (HAL – I like the acronym) all left me for their connecting flight. Oh yeah, did I mention that HAL (co-workers) were on the same flight as me? Well, after waiting in HK for hours, I flew to Singapore and after some more hours I met up with HAL and we embarked on the final segment of our trip – Singapore to Hyderabad. Once we landed we went through immigration and then customs where they singled me out and took me aside to question. Kirti has a theory that they only single out the Indian people. Who knows. Anyhow, after several hours of traveling we finally landed in Hyderabad. We had the warmest welcoming EVER. Gorgeous (aka Chris), Kirti, Saamra, Brian, and Shadie all came to greet us at the airport. They had these huge garlands that they welcomed us with. Mine almost hit the floor. My aunt and uncle were also there to greet me which was so nice. It was the nicest warmest greeting I could have ever imagined. (My mom’s sister and brother-in-law flew from Delhi to meet me at the airport but their flight was delayed. Instead they stopped by apartment to say hi.)

We all arrived at our apartment complex soon after. DUDE, our apartment is awesome. I thought they would be really nice but it exceeded all my expectations and some. I believe we have the nicest apartment out of all the folks that are here. It’s huge. We all have out own rooms and bathrooms. It’s a 4 bedroom place. Heather, Lauren and I will be sharing a place and Regina will too when she comes out here. I have a few pics to show you guys. I’ll have to post them all somewhere so you can see them w/o getting this blog cluttered. I have MUCH more to add...but I'm tired.

10 Comments:

  • OMG, you're apt is so awesome! have a great time and post as often as you can. ~jy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Apr 11, 11:53:00 AM PDT  

  • does the apartment fridge get stocked for free? i cant imagine you went out and bought all that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Apr 11, 12:59:00 PM PDT  

  • i'm impressed by the Toblerone in the freezer.

    we miss you! scotty and i heard a girl laughing this morning and we thought it was you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Apr 11, 01:13:00 PM PDT  

  • Thanks for the blog. Will be fun to follow your travels in India, that is if you actually do any traveling, i'm guessing you might wind up spending your entire time there in your tricked out apartment, laying in your king bed, eating Orange Bars by the dozen to keep cool in the 130 degree heat.

    As for HAL, I noticed that if you take HAL and add an A (for you), you then have HALA. Which is pretty close to HALO, the game I have dominated you at so many times in recent memory. It's also close to HELLA, which is something thankfully you do not say very often because it's kind of a stupid word, I think.

    take care!

    By Blogger Nic, at Mon Apr 11, 02:08:00 PM PDT  

  • Arod, you rock! Congrats on making it to your harem...err, sweet pad in Hyderabad. Be nice to the boys. Can't wait for more blog posts :).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Apr 11, 04:21:00 PM PDT  

  • My darling! Thanks for sending us the blog! It's great to see exactly how things are in India (love the apartment) We miss you lots!! Take care and enjoy every minute of it - work and all. Muah! Emel.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Apr 11, 05:35:00 PM PDT  

  • arod-

    sorry i didn't get to speak to you before you left, but it looks like you were one busy person, so its not like you missed out on anything...

    anyways, about the apt, what is up with that swing??? thats freaking outrageous!!! I know google hooks their employees up, but that is just ridiculous. (don't use it for bad things, haha!)

    i'll keep on checking this to make sure your ass is still alive... and hopefully my swing comment won't get this entry censored, like that other one....

    have fun!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Apr 12, 05:00:00 PM PDT  

  • I'm glad u made it there safe and sound and your apartment looks awesome!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Apr 12, 07:16:00 PM PDT  

  • We miss you Arod. See if you can get some good recipes while you're out.

    OH! I found that movie that you thought I had. Turns out, I had it! It's waiting for you to return on your desk.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Apr 13, 11:47:00 AM PDT  

  • We miss you Arod. See if you can get some good recipes while you're out.

    OH! I found that movie that you thought I had. Turns out, I had it! It's waiting for you to return on your desk.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Apr 13, 11:47:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home